Friday, April 3, 2020

Updated: Nighttime Skincare Routine

Wowzas, it's been too long y'all!!  Pray you and your fam are healthy and safe against COVID19.

I turned 30 during this pandemic, so it's been a weird month! I was asked about my skincare on Instagram, so thought I'd post an update here as well, in case more people ask or are interested. 

I currently do my skincare routine every night after I shower or before I go to bed (I'm under a stay-at-home order, so I don't shower everyday, haha!) BTW, I have combination/normal skin, and have not experienced an allergic reaction from any of the products mentioned. 
 
*DISCLAIMER: I am merely a skincare hobbyist and not a certified professional.

So here's an update on my current skincare products:


1. Double Cleansing - I double cleanse only if I wear sunscreen/makeup. My oil cleanser currently is the Banila Co Clean It Zero (they have newer packaging now, mine's from 2017 >_<!). My regular cleanser is from Muji and is a simple gel cream cleanser, because I wanted something cheap, simple, and hydrating. I'm currently using just my fingers and rubbing the product in circular motions across my face for about 30 secs. Some people like to use machines, like the Clarisonic, or Foreo for a deeper cleanse. If you choose to use a machine to cleanse, then I don't recommend exfoliating because it may irritate/strip the skin!  
 
2. Exfoliate - About once a week I use Skin Food's Black Sugar Mask Wash-Off, which smells delicious and is moisturizing. Or I use the Neogen Dermalogy Bio-Peel Gentle Gauze Peeling Green Tea. The Neogen pads come in other scents, like wine or lemon and has 30 pads. One side of the pad exfoliates and the other side doubles as a toning pad. If I use the Neogen pad, then I don't use my regular toner.

3. Toner - I use toner after cleansing to help balance ph of my skin, and to prep my skin for better absorption of heavier products. My current toner is from Muji, and it's labeled as an essence lotion, but the directions say to swipe with cotton pad and it's a liquid. I use the MUJI Makeup Facial Soft Cut Cotton to swipe the product in upward motions from my chin to my forehead. Give a couple seconds before applying essence.
 

4. Essence - Currently using the Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence (it's a cheaper version of SK-II Facial Treatment). The bottle has a tiny hole, so I give two shakes into my palms and then pat, or gently press the essence into my skin.

5. Eye Cream - Olay Anti-Aging Eye Cream. I use my ring finger to dab below my eyes, from inner corner to outer corner. Excess product I put on the top of my lids.
 
6. Serum - Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. Vitamin C is good for brightening and hydrating your skin. I use a couple fingers and swipe this product all over my face (again I try and do gentle upwards strokes)
 
7. Lotion/Moisturizer - TonyMoly White Tea Brightening Lotion and Origins Ginzing Energy Boosting Gel Moisturizer. I have two because my skin lacks hydration and I don't sleep with a humidifier. 

Think these are too many steps? No worries, the most important takeaways for skincare are:
  • Have a routine and do it daily!
  • Layer products from lightest to heaviest (toner < serum < cream)
  • DO NOT sleep overnight with any make-up on your face!
  • RE-APPLY SPF every 2 hours when outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment